Tuesday 16 November 2010

Creation's Cache #9

    Wow, over the last few days the weather has really taken a turn- winter is truly upon us. Each morning I've gone to get into my car to discover the windscreen misted and frozen; I can see my own breath in front of me, and yet I can't see much further! I drove into work today and a deep fog was mysteriously floating just over the fields. The whole countryside has a surreal atmosphere to it, while the silence and almost dreamlike surroundings are occasionally punctured by the the faint lights of oncoming vehicles. After exiting the car, the nip of the cold reminds me that I am no longer in a dream- this world is very real! Even amidst the frost and the fog (one could even say because of the frost and the fog...) a wonderful beauty is accented.
   By April spring will have come and by July we will be knee-deep in the British Summertime! The Seasons come around year by year, month by month, ordered by the creator and sustainer of the universe.

   I do hope that in your lifetimes, you experience the diversity and vastness of this planet. I hope that you dive into the tropical seas, surrounded by iddlyic sands and palms. I hope that you ride on llamas across the Chilean mountains. I hope that you explore caverns and caves. I hope that you climb mountains and splash around at the base of waterfalls. I hope you see Eagles and Stags. I hope you get to see wild dolphins in the ocean. I hope that you visit Delhi and Tokyo. I hope you exchange laughter with people of all cultures and races. I hope that you watch ganets diving into the sea from great heights. I hope that you experience all of that and even more!
    But more than the greatest experiences this world can offer, I hope that you know God more and more. I earnestly hope that you discover the vastness of God's love- for He has removed our sins further from us than the east is from the west*. I hope you learn of His wisdom- wiser than the owl or the greatest philosopher. I hope that you know what it is to receive God's grace-  deeper than the Atlantic Ocean. I hope that you learn of the might of God's right arm- stronger and more powerful than the Leviathan or Whale. I hope that you see the goodness and righteousness of God- the one who established right and wrong in our hearts. He, in his glory, is brighter than the Sun; more inspiring than the sunset; and more beautiful than the most desirable paradise on earth.
    For if this creation is wonderful, as it most undeniably is, then the Creator must be more wonderful and awesome still!

    It is my hope that each day you will live seeking to see God in His creation, that you will live desiring to know and serve him more. Creation's Cache can be a minefield if handled recklessly- remember, creation, although wonderful, was created by an even greater God!
    In Ancient Israel there was a man who thought that he could enjoy all of the pleasures of creation and yet he forgot who the creator was. The man's name was Solomon.

    Solomon was born the son of David, the great warrior-king of Israel. Solomon was very wise and wrote whole books of proverbs and songs. When he became King, he ruled over a strong and illustrious nation- all of their enemies having been pacified by his father. Solomon turned his attention from serving God and the Nation, to serving his own desires; he wanted to discover what  would give his life meaning or satisfaction. We take up his story in one of his books, Ecclesiastes:
I searched with my heart how to cheer my body with wine—my heart still guiding me with wisdom—and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was good for the children of man to do under heaven during the few days of their life. I made great works. I built houses and planted vineyards for myself. I made myself gardens and parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. I made myself pools from which to water the forest of growing trees. I bought male and female slaves, and had slaves who were born in my house. I had also great possessions of herds and flocks, more than any who had been before me in Jerusalem. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces. I got singers, both men and women, and many concubines, the delight of the children of man. 
    Life must have been good for Solomon. He woke up each morning and doubtless enjoyed a refreshing bath in the finest waters straight from the Dead Sea, after being dried upon a towel of silk by his courtiers, he would partake of a hearty breakfast of the most delicious delicacies of the Israeli countryside. Later, after perhaps enjoying a bit of boating on the royal lake, he would watch a chariot race or competition. Once he had satisfied his appetite once again, Solomon might commission the construction of a new city or sculpture. He would review his armies or spend a few hours examining his collection of exotic and amazing animals, bought to his zoos by his great naval fleet. The evening would be taken up with a great banquet, accompanied by dances and music (doubtless played by his own band of bards and minstrels), during the meal he might converse with visiting Kings, Queens or other great minds of the Ancient world. Finally, he would retire to his chambers, while across the land his servants and stewards packed up for the day after working in his gardens, orchards, vineyards and estates.
So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil.    
    But intriguingly, as time passed, Solomon was becoming less and less happy with the pursuits to which he had thrown himself into:
Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. 
    Solomon had discovered that creation, when approached without thought of God, left little lasting satisfaction. This legendary King, who had the means and wisdom to do or have anything he wished, found that a Godless creation was meaningless and void. He had a desire, which this world simply could not fulfill.
    Do you have a similar desire? Do you find that your job, relationships, food and pleasures just do not satisfy you? C.S. Lewis felt the same, he came to an obvious conclusion:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world”

    The Bible teaches that one day the Lord God will return to his creation and will wrap it up. Man's sin (or rebellion against God) has caused sickness, decay, evil and death. God will remove all of this, and anything else which does not reflect his character, and he will create a new Heavens and a new Earth. The Bible tells us some wonderful things about this new creation. But one thing about it is particularly important: no sinner can be there.
    "Well", you say, "neither of us will be there then!" And you would be right, if it wasn't for the great love and mercy of God. He knew that we were sinful and rebellious, so he sent His only son, Jesus, to die on a cross and to pay the debt owed by us. Jesus Christ has paid for our sin. If we believe on him, and trust in him as the payment for our wrongdoings, then he is faithful to forgive us! More than that, he gives us his own righteousness, so that we are perfect and holy in God's eyes. No wonder that Christians sing so much! We have a lot to sing about!
    As I "wrap up" the Creation's Cache blog series, I would like to leave you with some of the words of a beautiful hymn:

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder, Consider all the works thy hands hath made, I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder, thy power throughout the universe displayed....
Then sings my soul, my saviour God to thee, How great thou art, how great thou art!
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing, sent him to die- I scarce can take it in. That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin....
Then sings my soul, my saviour God to thee, How great thou art, how great thou art! 


Enjoy Creation's Cache of marvels and wonders, but remember, the Creator is even greater!





* This reminds me of one of the songs we got the children singing at the Holiday Bible Club this year: (to be sung to the tune of "The Flintstones"!)
God's Love is the best love that the world has ever ever known,
Deeper than the deep sea, its a love that only God can show,
Wider than the total human race,
Higher than the planets up in space,
God's love is the best love that the world has ever ever,
Will ever, ever,
Can ever, ever know......
[Yabadabadoo!] 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment