Monday 19 April 2010

Watch out, there are idols about

     Hello.

   Idolatry is sin. Sin is blatent and wicked rebellion against God. God hates sin. God hates idols.

Forget this wishy washy:
"Do I have any idols?"
[Momentary pause, knowing nod and pursing of lips.]
"It's a challenge to think about"
    Idolatry is alive and well in 21st Century England. Idolatry is alive and kicking in the Church today. Idolatry is alive and, I dare say, thriving in my life.
    I hate the sins in me, I hate my idolatry, I detest and despise the 'treasures' I have stored up. But I praise the God of grace for His victory in me!



   Recently I read a book that I would highly reccomend (and my reccomendations do not come easy- I have been described as "Been there, done that- didn't like it"). Written by Jerry Bridges, author of 'Pursuit of Holiness', it strikes hard at the Christian and holds no bars. "Respectable Sins" is a book that hits hard at the sins (remember sin is rebellion from our very souls aimed against the King of Glory) that we have trivialised, the sin in our lives that is embedded deep, and hardly even noticed. I would seriously suggest this book as a must read for Christians, it is a vital issue both for the experienced and new christian, for the young and the old. Read it!
  Spoiler Alert: what I am about to discuss will reveal one of Bridge's 'respectable sins', and I might even venture onto his other topics too.

   ..........Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.... after that prolonged introduction, I have just spent the last 10 minutes trying to find the section that I specifically wanted to talk about, only to realise that it is in another book!

   Please do still read "Respectable Sins", it will batter you, smash you about a bit and then spit you out.  Sounds painful? It is. You know what they say.....no pain, no gain.
 
   The idolatry I really wanted to bring up was one highlighted in Tim Keller's "Counterfeit Gods", another terrifying read. But that will have to wait now. In the meantime get on www.thegoodbook.co.uk and order Respectable Sins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment