Monday 11 October 2010

Creation's Cache #1

    A few days ago I stumbled upon an article from the Guardian newspaper, as published on their website. The article was entitled Morality beyond God. The writer of the piece was making some bold claims in an attempt to show the stupidity of believing in God as Creator of the universe (incidentally, "uni" means one- one God and Creator). The main thrust of the beginning of her argument is as follows:
[suppose you argue] that the universe we live in is such that it constitutes proof of a designer, who is God, what else could you infer about this designer?
   The answer, surely, is: nothing. We cannot move from believing that God lit the blue touch-paper to assuming that he made man in his own image...
...From the need for a creator you can infer nothing but that a creator exists, or did once exist. About the creator's attributes or character you can know nothing.
   Sitting back, I thought about her premise. Does the presence of a creator really tell us nothing more than that they exist? Almost immediately the foolishness of her own position became apparent. When we look at an artist's work we can learn so much about the artist: the choice of medium, use of colour, composition, wether canvas or board, the broad style or the use of detail- all of this goes to show something of the mindset and feelings of the artist. A sculptor similarly reveals themself in their sculpture. And neither of these people could possibly be referred to as "creators" but mearly as "makers". Closer to home, by reading the writer's article I could learn something about her: her prejudices, beliefs (or lack of) and general disregard for Creationists. Doubtless she would not deny that the entire world contains much much more "data" than her article! If I could discover something about her from her "creation" then how much more can I discover about the creator of the whole universe from his! 
   Thinking more deeply, does not the very existence of a creation imply a purpose behind said creation? Let me explain my reasoning. Everything has a purpose. Disagree? Then I challenge  you to find something without a purpose. The Tate Modern, I hear you say. Although tempted to agree, I would suggest that the purpose behind the crazy "artwork" there is found when one looks at the ego or prestige of the artists. Even things we define as "random" generally have come about to ease the pain of boredom or exhaustion. What am I getting at? Well, the universe had a purpose; the creator created this world for a reason (or reasons). 
    The more I think about it, the more ridiculously twisted the Guardian's article becomes. We are surrounded by mini-"creations" and they all tell us something about their "creators": Virgin Media, Harry Potter, the ipod, the Millennium dome, Radio 2, the man-bag; I could go on....
    In the letter to the Church in Rome during the first century AD, Paul the Apostle sheds some light on the situation:
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. 
   The Bible tells us that God as Creator is clearly visible in his creation. "In what ways?", I ask myself. What can be discover about God through nature? What bible truths can we see acted out in the world around us?
   In this series, I want to explore creation, and in doing so I hope (as the bible says) to get a glimpse of the attributes of our God. I realise that in doing so I am starting with the premise that their is a creator. I am no scientist or theologian, I can hold my own in a simple debate but my brain whirls when surrounded by complex argument. I have heard all the discussions, seen the passion and protests of the various parties, read the scientific blurb and been pummeled by the voices of otherwise calm and serene people. After all of that, I remain steadfastly convinced that, as the bible teaches me, the Lord God is the creator and sustainer of the universe. I will leave the debating to the "heavies", however many of the things we will be seeing, by their very nature, show and reinforce the truth that a creator exists.

What does Creation tell us about the Creator?


   So, will you join me for the next few blogs in a whirlwind tour of creation, diving to the depths of the ocean, soaring to the heights of the skies, to see our wonderful God revealed in.....

 Creation's Cache

1 comment:

  1. We're so often asked to read deeper into novels and plays for english or look at why an artist painted what he did in art but we're never asked the meaning behind what we learn in science. Creation is a greater peace of 'art work' than any human could ever make and it's not just art but a finely tuned machine at the same time.

    "The heavens decare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of his hands."

    I can't wait for more Matt! :)

    Oh, and did you mean "What does Creation tell us about the Creator" in the last bit? :P

    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete