Tuesday 19 October 2010

Creation's Cache #3.1- A blessing from the Cache

   Yesterday I penned Creation's Cache #3 describing the utter indescribableness of the vastness of Creation- how utterly beyond our comprehension and imagination creation's size actually is.
   I mentioned how NASA's astronomers think that the number of stars is over 10 billion trillion (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).
   I finished my blogging and headed for bed, where I read over some of my bible passages for the day (part of the UGS:Psalm 27 (2010) Reading Scheme). I turned to Jeremiah 31. The Lord proclaims through the prophet the beginning of a New Covenant for his people. Their sins will be forgiven, their iniquities washed clean, and the Lord God will know them all. Then Jeremiah goes on to say something that quite astounded me. After spending some time considering the huge unimaginable vastness of creation, God was showing me his grace through that very same imagery. Have a read yourself...

Thus says the LORD:
“If the heavens above can be measured,
and the foundations of the earth below can be explored,
then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel
for all that they have done,
declares the LORD.”

    "Why are you so amazed?" I hear you ask. Surely God is talking about "casting off" his people?! Well, yes. But he is saying that the "chance" (for want of a better word) of that happening is the same as the likelihood of all the heavens being measured, or the foundations of the earth being explored. After our brief discussion on the size of the universe yesterday, I think that we can see that the Lord is promising, using a reverse logic to emphasise his promise, that he will never cast away his people, Israel. Do you see my wonder? God uses the lessons we learn in Creation and nature, through the teaching of the Bible, to know him more, to see his grace all the more!
     My feelings are penned much more eloquently through the hymn of Isaac Watts, "Give to Our God Immortal Praise":

He built the earth, He spread the sky, 
   And fixed the starry lights on high:


      Wonders of grace to God belong,
          Repeat His mercies in your song.

No comments:

Post a Comment