Wednesday 6 April 2011

The Greatest Story

   I just heard these lyrics over a speaker system:
Everybody wants love, Thats why you are in this club.
   Hmmm. I had been under the impression that I was in a Brantano store and that I'd been trying to buy some shoes. Apparently I was wrong.

   Isn't it true though? Everybody is searching out for something.

   U2 searched long and hard and had this to say:
I have climbed highest mountains, I have run through the fields...I have scaled these city walls..... but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
   Love seems like a worthy candidate of the great human hunt. Love must fulfil us and fill that gaping hole....surely?

  In many of its films Disney tells of a beautiful princess, locked away, who is freed by the brave and mighty acts of a handsome prince. They fall in love- naturally- and marry. They then reign over a kingdom and it all ends happily ever after.

  20 years ago, that was the dream. That was what the human race was seeking for: a happy ever after with a beautiful/handsome princess/prince [delete as appropriate].

  But Disney, faced with a downspiralling demand, has stopped producing fairytale stories. Divorces are higher than ever. Families are split. The human race has given up on love.

   As Christians, we have found what we were looking for. And yes, it is love. The love of Jesus for sinners like you and I. He died so that we can live. He is the Prince and the Church is His Bride. We are part of the greatest love story ever told.

   We have the answer to life. We have life itself. Lets not keep it to ourselves. Lets proclaim the good news! Freedom from the dungeon! Release from our captors! And a great Prince!



No comments:

Post a Comment