Tuesday 5 July 2011

A Brighter Discontent

"But is a brighter discontent
The best that I could hope to find?"

   One of the main topics which regularly emerges in my blogs is that of  'the vanity of a life without God'. Below are a few posts which really highlight this point.


   
   I think it is probably time to move on from this topic! Why? Because- on the other side of the proverbial coin- a life with God is brimming with purpose!

   I don't know if you have heard of The Submarines? They are a Californian-based duo. Fascinating story behind their music, look it up if you get a chance! In one song Blake Hazard (what a cool name!) sings these words:

"But is a brighter discontent


The best that I could hope to find?"

  I would humbly suggest that, without God, a 'brighter discontent' is indeed the most one can hope for! Without God life lacks purpose and spark. Work, relationships, money, pleasure: they are all, ultimately, meaningless.

   As Christians, however, we can experience true contentedness. An early Christian called Paul said these words:

"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him..."

   Paul was prepared to give up his religious status, wealth, health and future all for the Lord Jesus. Why? Because he thought that knowing Jesus was of 'surpassing worth'.

    Contentedness is somewhat elusive. We live in a continual rat-race. Work, work, work, work. Make money, make friends, get qualifications, get power, get prestige. Keep trying harder. We think that if we could just get that next pay-rise, get that next promotion or get that next deal then we will finally be content. But it simply doesn't work like that. When we achieve our objectives we simply replace them with new and higher ones. We are constantly pushing on for the next 'big thing'. People who win the lottery seem so happy and content- you can watch them opening the champagne and celebrating. But I recently read a newspaper article describing how some 'winners' soon found that their lives were harder and less satisfying after winning the lottery than before! Money brings its own problems.

   So how come Paul was so content? What is it that we really need?

   In a recent episode of the British sci-fi series Doctor Who the Doctor's companion realised something about her friend:

"You are looking for Salvation!"

The Doctor replies:

"Aren't we all."

   Is this true? Has the BBC finally caught on?

   Yes I think so.

   In the bible the secret of contentedness is revealed: its Jesus.

   In him we find salvation and freedom. When we discover that God came to earth to suffer and die so as to bear the punishment for our own sin then our lives are transformed. Paul says this:

"I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

   If you are a Christian then you have such a wonderful gift. You have the secret of contentedness. Christ has forgiven you for your sins and reserved a home in heaven for you. Whatever happens here on earth now is of little consequence- because you are safe with your saviour!

   Life without God may be meaningless and vanity. But life with God is a content one. We can truly have more than just a 'brighter discontent'!




"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say,
“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”"
                                                                                Hebrews 13 verses 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment