Wednesday 22 August 2012

Ornamental Essentials


  The Valley of Vision is a collection of prayers penned by various Puritan writers. The prayer which I have shared below is fantastic. It really shows the dependant spirit we need when attempting to share the great gospel of Jesus. The puritans knew that no-one can truly preach salvation unless they are being sanctified themselves by the Holy Spirit.

   I was particularly struck by the writer’s request that God make him ‘attend to what is ornamental as well as essential in religion.’ Its a good desire, isn’t it?

   Have a read. I hope it will be a blessing to your mind, if not then don’t worry. (Sorry for some of the confusing words and grammar; the puritans didn’t know how to speak English as well as we do.)

 

O God,

May I never be a blot or a blank in life,
cause the way of truth to be evil spoken of,
or make my liberty an occasion to the flesh.

May I love serve others, and please my neighbour
for his good to edification.

May I attend to what is ornamental as well as
essential in religion, pursuing things that are lovely and of good report.

May I render my profession of the gospel
not only as impressive, but amiable and inviting.

May I hold forth the way of Jesus
with my temper as well as my tongue,
with my life as well as my lips.

May I say to all I meet,
I am journeying towards the Lord’s given place,
come with me for your good.

May I be prepared for all the allotments,
of this short, changing, uncertain life, with
a useful residence in it,
a comfortable journey through it.
a safe passage out of it.

May I be in character and conduct like
the dew of heaven,
the salt of the earth,
the light of the world,
the fullness of the fountain.

May I never
be ashamed of Jesus or his words,
be deterred from fulfilling a known duty
through fear,
be discouraged from attempting it
through weakness.

May I see all things in a divine light so that they might
inform my judgment
and sanctify my heart.

And by all the disciplines of thy providence,
and all the ordinances of religion,
may I be increasingly prepared for
life’s remaining duties,
the solemnities of a dying hour,
and the joys and services
that lie beyond the grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment