Wednesday 5 September 2012

Take Heart my Soul


  Psalm 27 is a wonderful Psalm…but then, I suppose they all are.

  I recently was given a book entitled Wordsmithy. Its a series of biblical tips and hints for people who, in one form or another, write. One of its more controversial ideas is diversity. Simply put, the author suggests that a writer of fiction should attempt to write short essays listing facts. Sonnet writers should attempt to pen logical treatise on science. Biographers must write love songs. You get the idea.

  Basically: try your hand at something new.

  With that in mind, I have scrawled down a few verses which, one way or t’other, resemble something akin to a hymn.

Realising that all good hymns are based on either a single verse, a whole chapter, or a reoccurring theme of scripture, I have based mine on Psalm 27- my favourite psalm. The main thrust of the psalm is this: God is supreme and caring therefore I want to be with him.

  N.B. Unfortunately I have had to squeeze an extra syllable into verse 4. If anyone has any thoughts on a remedy, please let me know!


Take heart my soul and strengthened be,
The Lord thy fortress is.
My light and my salvation he,
I need not be afraid.

Intent on evil, some will wage
a war against my soul.
But under God’s most righteous sight,
they stumble and shall fall.

Though warriors encamp around my walls,
my heart shall never fear.
Though battles fought throughout this land,
My cry the Lord shall hear.


Gifts and status, power and wealth
small wonders deemed to be.
One thing I ask of God; tis this
with him to dwell eternally.


Upon his beauty I shall gaze,
More of his person know.
Filled thus with heaven’s deepest joy,
sweet melodies shall flow.

My parents may forsake me yet,
but thou wilt take me in.
Your goodness will I see and know,
While in this land of sin.


Hear, now O Lord, our prayer to you,
Your face, Lord, do we crave.
Take heart my soul and strengthened be
The Lord will come for thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment