Wednesday 16 November 2011

abk4u: Bunyan, the Bedfordian

         
“…Bunyan taught me that Christians are living in a war zone.”
“…Bunyan taught me that man is created by and for the Lord God, and that he delights in his work.”

   I am starting the ‘a book for you’ series, perhaps unsurprisingly, with someone who is held in high esteem- both in his home  town of Bedford, but also in the bigger wider world. John Bunyan was, undeniably, one of the greatest Puritan writers England has ever seen.
   The Pilgrim’s Progress (…From this World  to that Which is to Come) has been translated into over 200 languages. Some claim that it ranks second only to the Bible in terms of all-time sales (although others place Chairman Mao’s Little Red Book in that position!).
   Although I could talk about Bunyan’s most famous allegorical work for many an hour, I want to focus on one of his other bestsellers: The Holy War.

As I travelled through many regions, I came upon that famous land called Universe. This spacious country lies between the two poles and amid the four points of the heavens. Adorned with hills and valleys, it is abundantly fruitful, well-populated, and splendidly situated……

…..In this gallant country of Universe, there lies a pleasant and peaceful municipality called Mansoul. The picturesque architecture of this town, its convenient location, and its superior advantages cannot be equalled under heaven.

  
   It would be embarrassing to admit how long it took me to connect the town’s name Mansoul with its obvious meaning! Putting that to one side, Bunyan’s allegorical descriptions of each individual Soul has shaped my understanding of the Lord’s delight in his people, and the lengths he has gone to in order to secure our eternal safety.



According to the most authentic records, Mansoul’s first founder and builder was one called Shaddai. He built it for his own delight, making it the masterpiece of all that he did in that country. When first built, it was said by some that the angels came down to see it and sung for joy.
   In The Holy War, Bunyan tells the tale of Mansoul, a city which is infiltrated by Diabolus (an old English/Latin word meaning Devil) and his consorts. The simple Laws and Statutes of the previous King are destroyed, and the city descends into lasciviousness and ungodly living. The new tyrant places his own people into exalted positions: Lord Lustings becomes Mayor and Mr Forget-Good is appointed City Recorder. New Magistrates, Aldermen and Constables included Mr Unbelief, Mr Haughty, Mr Swearing, Mr No-Truth and Mr False-Peace. Having gained control of the city and garrisoned it against attack, Diabolus continues to enjoy Mansoul’s flagrant rebellion against King Shaddai.
   The story tells us of the King’s Generals who come and besiege the rebellious town. We learn about the belittlement and imprisonment of Mr Conscience. The defences of the site are expounded; we learn that the most succesful attacks are those made against Eye Gate or Ear Gate. And then, wonderfully, we hear about the King’s Son who bravely comes to capture the rebellious city.
   As a young boy, it was this book which, perhaps, gave me my earliest grasp of man’s sin and of God’s Grace. Mansoul was conquered, the evil mongers fled, the inhabitants left at the mercy of the King’s forces. But Prince Emmanuel (God with us) graciously offers forgiveness and mercy to the stricken, repentant and miserable town.
   The Prince’s claim, made to Diabolus, of ownership over Mansoul, is a beautiful thing. Remember, this is Christ’s claim over the believer’s heart:

This town of Mansoul is mine by an undoubted right, as all can see who diligently search the most ancient and authentic records… In the first place my father formed Mansoul with his own hands. The palace which stands in the middle of the town was formed by him for his own delight. This town of Mansoul is my Father’s by the best title possible, and those who deny this lie against their own souls. Secondly, you master of lies, this town of Mansoul is mine.
(1) I am my Father’s heir, his firstborn, and the delight of his heart. I have, therefore, come against you in my own right to recover my own inheritance from your slavery.
(2) Not only do I have a right to Mansoul because I am my Father’s heir, but because he has given it to me. It belonged to him, and he gave it to me…
(3) Mansoul is also mine by right of purchase. I have bought it, Diabolus, I have bought it for myself…. I purchased Mansoul because it had trespassed against my Father….When the appointed time had come, I gave my body, soul, life and blood for Mansoul, and so redeemed my beloved Mansoul.
(4) This is not a half-way measure. My Father’s law and justice, which were both transgressed, are now completely satisfied and reconciled that Mansoul should be delivered.
(5) Now I have come against you, this day, by commandment from my Father…Therefore, by assured, you fountain of deceit, and also, let Mansoul be assured, that I have not come against you without my Father.
 
   
   Having freed Mansoul from its deceptive and manipulative tyrant, the Prince extends mercy to the repentant town folk, who cry out to him for forgiveness.   
The Prince commands the citizens of the City to keep alert for infiltrators and enemy agents living amongst them. The city walls are full of holes where men can conceal themselves and wreak havoc on Mansoul.
   At first the town rejoices at their King and his son. Emmanuel lives amongst them, in the citadel of Mansoul. The King’s Lord Secretary joins them and preaches and exhorts them. The Prince gives every man, woman and child new robes, pure, white and clean. They rejoice with feasting and happiness.    
  Sadly however, over time, the Mansoulians start to slip downwards in their zeal against Diabolus’ infiltrators and agents. They get forgetful, and start to ignore the great Prince living in their palace. They drag their white robes in the dust and dirt, not bothering to wash them clean.
   Eventually, and quietly, the Prince leaves the city, leaving the Lord Secretary (symbolising the Holy Spirit) behind to watch over the citizens.
   Mansoul comes under new and horrifying attacks, each more deadly and fearsome than the last.  Mansoul, time and again, is sent back to the Court of King Shaddai and Prince Emmanuel, in supplication for aid and support.
   Ultimately, the King’s city cannot fall to the assaults of Diabolus. The citizens, through adversity and trial, learn to return to the arms of their Prince. Mansoul, Emmanuel says, will be taken into a new land….

After a little while, I will take this famous town of Mansoul down to the ground. But do not be troubled by what I am saying. I will carry the stones, the timber, the walls, the dust and the inhabitants into my own country, the Kingdom of my Father. There, I will set up the town in such strength and glory, as it never had in the Kingdom where it is now situated.

       Bunyan has taught me well. Each soul is precious in God’s sight because he created us- he is the author of creation- and breathes life into us. We are his delight and joy. He has bought us at a terrible cost. The Christian lives in a battlefield. There is no time to let down one’s guard. The devil will assault us continually, but the war has been already won and the victory is secure. One day, Christ Jesus will take us home to be with the Father in glory.


I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.   John 16 v33

No comments:

Post a Comment